Let’s face it, ever since the release of jaws we have all jumped a little extra when something touches your foot at the beach. Even after watching the movie I used to jump when something touched my foot in the pool. Fast forward over 40 years later and now I am Jaws the main actor. The great white shark, and it feels good. Picture this grand theft auto style of game play but you are a shark! That is the easiest way to explain maneater, a new game created by Tripwire Interactive and Blindside Interactive.
Jumping into the game, it shows a shark hunter talking about how humans and sharks can’t co-exist, The boat radio starts yelling about a shark attack happening close by. the camera changes and you are that shark, a powerful bull shark with a broken spear hanging from your side you’re going through water ways eating turtles and little fish. Finally, you arrive at something that resembles a boat harbour / industrial water way. Which is perfect for a hungry Mumma bull shark. Your main goal at this point is to kill beach goers, this means taking down, jet ski's even floating unicorn rubber boats and eating the ukulele player.
After the first fight you then start as a pup and ending the game as a behemoth capable of tearing apart fishing boats. Now Maneater is not a documentary of a shark’s life, you can upgrade your body, forming a bony exoskeleton to bash ships with, bioelectric talents, or stealthy, vampiric traits and upgrade your organs.
Also, you need to remember that there is always a Bigger FISH!
While the game has some story line to it, 10 hours in truthfully it’s not the strongest part of the game. You are the death and destruction of swimmers, which consumes most of your time , which is always an appealing way to pass time. it has certain aspects of levelling up your shark to different species etc. at time of writing we weren’t a megalodon yet, but we hope to be there Soon!
· Eat, explore, and evolve in an open world action RPG.
· Play through a full narrative, story-based campaign narrated by Chris Parnell. (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, Rick and Morty)
· Feed on humans, consume nutrients and find rare shark loot to evolve past what nature intended.
· Explore 7 large regions including bayous of the gulf coast, resort beaches, industrial docks, the open ocean and more. Experience a living world with a full day/night cycle.
· Unlock and equip various Evolutions that improve and enhance your shark as you progress through the campaign.
· Hunter Parties and Bounty System - the humans fight back! The battle against various types of hunters ranging from small skiff’s all the way up to the coast guard.
- While definitely accentuated by the console or even pc we question whether it is needed to be on such a high level? This game play would be so suitable for handheld and it gets us reviewers searching if a switch release date has been announced. (At the time of writing this review the Nintendo Switch Release date is TBC)
– Getting used to diving back under water, focusing on enemies, using sonar to find hunters etc can take some time but the battle mechanics aren’t heavy enough to worry about.
- 10 hours in and we are still heavily enjoying eating humans, as simple as that. all in all, it is definitely a game that we can recommend. but now I am scared to go swimming all over again thanks for reading and we hope you tune in for our streams.
In closing If you love a gta style gameplay then you should like this game!
GamerzDownunder received review copies from the developer, however our thoughts and opinions are our own.
If you interested in buying the game we have done a Buyers Guid HERE!
Graphics - 9/10
Sound - 9/10
Battle mechanics - 7/10
Story - 7/10
Replay value - 7/10
GamerzDownunder.com Gives the game 8/10
- As a game that sets out to introduce you to the death and mayhem of an apex predator of the ocean it’s a 10/10 game, so it’s hard to break it down as the 8 doesn’t do the game justice.
GamerzDownunder.com Loved the game so much that we gave away a Copy to a fan who was with us during the Live Stream.
Cheers Aaron James Rodgers hope you enjoy the game as well!
Live stream of the Gameplay!
You can find Maneater Online
Social Tags and handles: Twitter and Facebook @maneatergame, #maneatergame #shaRkPG
#gamerz #gamer #gamers #gamerzdownunder #podcast #gaming #news #gamereviews #gamerlife #steam #xbox #ps4 #pc #nintendoswitch #maneater #gamingpodcast #podcastlife #intapodcast #videogames #Gamingnews #gamingReview @maneatergame #maneatergame #shaRkPG